Monday, March 1, 2010

New Recipe Tuesday... Er, kind of.

Hello! First of all, let me make this very clear: I am well aware that it is not actually Tuesday (yet). I am also well aware of the fact that I missed the last couple New Recipe Tuesdays, but I'm going to blame that on the fact that there wasn't really a new episode of NCIS, so does it really matter?

Well, according to my guinea pigs officers it does but poo on them for right now :)

However, because I've been such a slacker, I've actually got two recipes I'm going to post tonight. I was going to just wait until tomorrow to do it because tomorrow is, after all, Tuesday, but I didn't know if I'd have time before work, so I decided it's close enough to Tuesday now!

Phew. Can we say run-on sentence?

Gibbs' Get Up and Go Cookies Vol. 2
Ingredients:
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of shortening
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup of applesauce
2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 cups of granola
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
2.) Beat brown sugar, shortening, vanilla and egg in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed.
3.) Stir in the applesauce.
4.) Stir in the remaining ingredients.
5.) Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
6.) Bake for 11-13 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched in the center.
Notes: These cookies were a little dry. I only baked them for 11 minutes, so next time, I might shave off a minute or two. I might also try adding a little more applesauce. The recipe indicates you can get either original or unsweetened applesauce, but the original, of course, will produce a sweeter cookie.
 
  
  
  
  

McTony's Cream Cheese Brownies
Ingredients:
Batter
4 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup of butter or margarine
2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Cream Cheese Filling
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 egg
Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2.) Grease a 9x13 pan.
3.) Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth; remove from heat and cool about 5 minutes.
4.) While chocolate is cooling, mix cream cheese, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 1 egg in a bowl with a spoon until smooth; set aside.
5.) Beat chocolate mixture, sugar, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
6.) Add in flour and salt; beat until well mixed.
7.) Spread the batter and the cream cheese in the prepared pan, dragging knife through to create a marbled effect.
8.) Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and refrigerate brownies until ready to serve.
Notes: The recipe for the cream cheese filling indicates to mix by hand, but I couldn't get it quite smooth enough so I used my mixer. It still turned out fine. Also, while my baked goods usually taste pretty yummy, I need to work my presentation because I had a hard time "marbling" my damn brownies.

 
  
  
  
  
 
Hopefully, things for me will calm down after this week and I'll be able to get back on track with my New Recipe Tuesdays... I'm sure my guinea pigs officers will appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment